Advertisement
Black mold, a slimy, greenish-black substance, is known for its high toxicity given its toxic by-products known as mycotoxins. Once they make their way into the body, they could give rise to a plethora of unpleasant symptoms. Most mold-related illnesses are diagnosed in people with weak or compromised immune system. For example, infants whose immune system has not fully developed, people who are too old to have a strong immune system, and those suffering from chronic diseases such as AIDS, cancer, pneumonia, bronchitis, and other respiratory ailments, are the ones who are severely and the most affected by the exposure to toxic black mold.

Most are unaware of the fact that the symptoms of toxic black mold mimic innumerable symptoms of other health conditions. This makes it difficult for doctors to determine if the symptoms are actually a manifestation of living in a mold-infested house, or do they indicate other common medical conditions. The various symptoms caused by toxic mold have been described below. It is important to know that if an individual experiences a combination of such symptoms, then immediate medical intervention is required.

Symptoms Caused by Black Mold

The Most Common Ones
# Chronic sinusitis is one of the main consequences of long-term exposure to black mold. And this is manifested by runny nose, sinus headache, sinus drainage and sinus cough.

# It is also common for people living in moldy environment to complain against headaches, burning, dry or itchy eyes, and even skin rashes. To make thinks worse, the person may feel nauseating, have trouble in breathing especially if he/she is asthmatic, and lethargy. Dizziness, lack in concentration, and irritation in mucous membranes may also accompany.

Less Common Ones
In some cases, it has been found that people experience irregularity in blood pressure, along with digestion problems. Urinary tract infections (UTI) and all symptoms related to it also show up as some of the severe health effects caused by black mold exposure. The same can lead to medical conditions of the liver, and other organs of the body. There have been cases wherein, people were diagnosed with infertility which resulted from living in a black mold-infested house for a prolonged period.

Other Health Effects of Black Mold Exposure
  • Abdominal pain
  • Abnormal pap smears
  • Acid reflux/indigestion
  • Acne
  • Anaphylaxis
  • Altered immunity
  • Balance problems
  • Body aches and muscle pains
  • Bruising easily
  • Burning in mouth and/or throat
  • Cancer
  • Central nervous system disorders
  • Chills
  • Choking
  • Cholesterol or triglycerides irregularities
  • Coated tongue
  • Cold and flu symptoms
  • Dandruff problems (chronic)
  • Depression/anxiety/dementia
  • Diarrhea
  • Difficulty in swallowing
  • Dirt-like taste in mouth
  • Early menopause
  • Eye and vision problems, eye irritation (watery, burning, or reddened eyes)
  • Face flushing intermittently
  • Food allergies
  • Frequent bloody nose
  • Frequent infections
  • Hair loss
  • Pulmonary hemorrhage
  • Hypersensitivity to mold
  • Irritability, mood swings
  • Spleen pain
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Itchy nose, mouth, eyes, throat, and skin
  • Metallic taste in mouth
  • Night sweats and hot flashes
  • Nose or throat irritation
  • Numbness in face and limbs
  • Open skin sores and lacerations
  • Organic dust toxic syndrome (ODTS)
  • Physical weakness
  • Poor appetite
  • Puffy or droopy eyes
  • Sensitivity to smells/odors
  • Sneezing fits
  • Spitting up
  • Swollen lymph nodes
  • Systemic candida infection
  • Tremors (shaking)
  • Unexplained fevers
  • Prolonged muscle cramps and joint pain
  • Women who are pregnant could experience multiple problems, including miscarriage
Moisture provides for the most favorable conditions for the growth of mold on walls, wood, carpet, clothes and furniture. Humid, damp areas with moderate temperature, and light are the perfect places for the growth of these microorganisms. So the best preventive measure against black mold infestation is fixing areas with moisture problems. Common areas may include kitchen sink, bathroom, shower head, basement, bathroom tiles, ceilings, leaking water pipes, etc.

Appliances like exhaust fans, air conditioning system and dehumidifier help in getting rid of airborne mold particles. There are also organic products on the market which may be used to clean mold-infected areas. After having your mold-affected walls properly cleaned, it is better if you paint them with moisture-resistant paints. This would keep the mold from growing back on the surface.