Did You Know?
Ginger has been used as a spice in Asian cuisines since 4,000 years.
Ginger has been an integral part of medicine and culinary delights of the Indian, Chinese, and Arabic cultures since ancient times. It's pretty unbelievable how a little root of Zingiber officinale
has so much strength.
The ginger root is actually the underground stem of the plant. It is long and narrow in structure, and has for ages been the remedy for all gastrointestinal problems and flu-like conditions.
Advantages of Drinking Ginger Root Tea
This is the best cure for getting rid of nausea. Usually, vomiting and nausea are symptoms of indigestion. Consuming this tea aids in the secretion of digestive juices, which controls the stomach acids and relaxes the intestinal muscles. Have a cup of ginger tea twice a day to get relief from nausea and vomiting.
Becoming a mother is a turning point in every woman's life. It's a beautiful feeling to wake up knowing that there's an angel growing inside you. However, morning sickness can ruin the feeling. This beverage works well in diminishing the effects of morning sickness, which generally lasts for a day. During pregnancy, avoid consuming powdered or an artificial form of ginger. Make fresh tea for best results.
In case of severe menstrual cramps, have at least two cups of freshly made ginger tea with brown sugar. Consuming it for menstrual cramps directs the blood to the pelvic area, which relieves the blockages. Antispasmodic properties of ginger act swiftly to relieve menstrual cramps.
It is an excellent medicine for cold and flu. Having a hot cup makes the body sweat, which breaks the fever and dispels pathogens. The spicy taste of ginger releases the congestion in the nose, caused due to mucus, providing relief from cold.
Digestion of Food
Having one or two cups of tea every day solves all digestion problems. It relieves gases and other stomach problems by breaking down the proteins in food.
Other Health Benefits
- It provides relief from headaches and migraines.
- It provides relief from rheumatoid arthritis.
- Is known to have anticancerous properties, which prevent cancer by destroying cancerous cells.
- Having a cup of ginger root tea is the best home remedy for asthma. It eliminates the mucus and removes the blockages from the wind pipe.
- It removes all the bad cholesterol from the body. This reduces the risk of cardiovascular diseases, which keeps your heart hale and hearty.
- The spicy taste of ginger adds freshness to the breath. Having ginger tea is a great remedy for bad breath.
The time required to make it is five minutes. The ingredients are:
- 4 slices of ginger
- ½ cup of water
- 1 tablespoon honey and ½ lemon (optional)
- Pour the water in a vessel and bring it to boil
- Add the slices of ginger and boil it for 2 minutes
- Add honey and lemon to suit your taste
- Strain the tea and drink it hot
It is better to avoid artificial sweeteners as far as possible. Preferably, add natural sweeteners like honey.
There are hardly any side effects of ginger root tea. However, if you are pregnant, avoid having it for days in a row, as an overdose can lead to irritation. In such a case, you can opt to use ginger in food. If you suffer from gallstones, inflammatory bowel or ulcers, refrain from having this tea. Also, never have ginger if you are on blood thinners because ginger in itself is a blood thinner.
Many cultures across the globe have been using this drink as a remedy for digestive problems since centuries. We've seen our grandmothers using ginger in so many things, which we conveniently ignored. Many medicines have also been made using chemical compounds of ginger. Well, looks like grandma was always right about ginger!Disclaimer
: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for professional medical advice.