The field of criminal psychology is becoming increasingly popular. Also known as forensic psychology, it is an emerging field that offers lucrative careers for those interested. The job involves the application of psychology to the legal procedure and crime investigation. Criminal psychologists have an important role to play in this aspect and are in great demand. There are various other fields too, where they can work and develop themselves. A list of careers related to criminal psychology is given below.
- Forensic psychologists deal a lot with the laws and legal issues. Some of these include:
- Interaction with jurors and criminals
- Helping jurors with the decision-making process, based on their observations
- Formulating legal evaluations
- Understanding criminal law and legal procedures
- Another important function of these professionals in the criminal justice system is to determine the mental state of the defendants when the crime was committed and during the legal trials.
- This career would require you to obtain the necessary degrees and credentials.
- You will also be expected to have excellent communication and people skills.
- This is one of the most common arena of work for a qualified criminal psychologist. It is similar to other careers in clinical psychology.
- It basically involves studying the mental processes and behavior of criminals to find out the reason behind the crime that has been committed.
- The psychologist needs to do this by observation, studying the history of the criminal and by creating a case study that supports the investigation reports.
- A legal forensic psychologist basically works as an aid to lawyers and attorneys.
- These psychologists often advice the lawyers on the juror type suitable for that particular trial.
- They also assist in the jury selection procedure, in formulating questions to be asked by the juror and in making trial-related decisions.
- An important function that they perform is to make the jury aware of any mental illness that the accused is suffering from that could also be the reason behind the crime committed.
- These psychologists focus on developing new and improved methods of interrogation and assessment of eyewitnesses and criminals.
- Policy-making with regard to juveniles and the elderly is also an area where tey focus on.
- This is one of the most fascinating fields of criminal psychology.
- Here, psychologists provide assistance on investigative procedures, like studying and analyzing mental processes of suspect criminals and witnesses.
- They are also involved in criminal profiling and psychological autopsies.
- Forensic psychologists can also work as probation or correction officers.
- These professionals help develop prison plans where mentally ill criminals and juveniles can be kept and treated.
- They also develop strategies that can be used for the rehabilitation and development of the prisoners.