"Leather accents on pieces make it fun and spices up an outfit."
— Rachel Bilson
Call them leather leggings, or the wet look leggings, this popular fashion trend emerged somewhere in the late 2000s. Women and men all around the world either love or loathe them. Regardless of other people's taste, this trend is here to stay. Leather leggings are one of the most sought-after pieces, and as the seasons move on, they're appearing everywhere you go. From celebrities to models to mere mortals, these shiny leggings are not only flattering, but comfortable as well.
So, if you're thinking of giving them a try, why not take a few styling tips from us. We've compiled a few ideas on how and what to pair with leather leggings, without having to break the bank.
Before you can wear them, it's necessary to know where to buy them. If you don't know what size will fit you, avoid online stores as your initial purchase choice. Visit a departmental store instead, and have the salesperson help you pick the one that fits you perfectly. Now, if you already have one hanging in your closet, let's find you some fabulous styles to go with it, shall we?
With Sexy Jackets
Pairing your leather leggings with adorable jackets is a style that is meant to last. The combination is an edge above the others, and we love how hot the style can be. The leggings are bold in the first place, add a floral or solid-colored jacket, and you're golden. While choosing a top to complete the ensemble, make sure it is not too jazzy. Here, we want to keep the leggings and the jacket in focus. If the jacket is bold in its own right, then skip adding jewelry, and go straight for a pair of sexy boots or heels. Depending on the weather, you can choose to add layers to create a wonderful look. During summers, try wearing faux leather leggings so that it is comfortable. Otherwise, stick to wearing these leggings during winters.
Play with colors, not just for the top and jackets, but for the leggings as well. A splash of bold colors here and there can really outshine against grays and blacks.
Now for something a bit girly and versatile―wearing bright-colored jackets with your leggings. It really doesn't take a lot of effort to stand out in the crowd with these combinations. Wear them with attitude, and you'll have all the attention in the world.
With Smashing Coats
Apart from the jackets, you can also wear the leggings with winter coats. They not only keep you warm, but are one of the must-have clothing items in every woman's closet. Now of course, we are going to tell you to experiment with different styles of coats in various colors. But that's not all; we want you to experiment with the leggings as well. As you saw in the images above, and now in this section, we have given you outfit ideas on pairing maroon and green leather leggings. It definitely brings a much cooler, and unique vibe to your outfits.
While you're pairing your leggings with the winter coats, make sure that the top isn't longer or bigger than the coats. It'll not only make you look bulky, but also won't make the outfit appealing. The blue and brown coats here are so amazing that it almost seems impossible not to wear any of these outfits.
Bold much? Well, we thought you can take a little extra inspiration to brighten up your regular style. The soft hues of the blue top and the feisty red coat do make both these combinations stand out.
Now some of you may not like the idea of wearing green leather leggings or the yellow coat. But, I urge you to hear me out. Both these combinations have a unique element that sets them apart from the rest. If you're willing to make a difference in how you appear to the world, trust me, these are the outfits you need to be rocking.
Whether you're aiming for a sophisticated look, trying a bold approach, or wishing for a flirty appeal, the rules to wearing leather leggings are simple; and we have provided them in the form of this dos and don'ts list.
- Wear them with the current season's trends. Since you came this far (braving to wear leather leggings), why not mix and match them with the latest fashion trends. This way, you won't have to worry about being too "unique."
- Accessorize with bulky jewelry. Leather needs to make a statement, and wearing bold accessories is one sure way of achieving the "edgy" attitude.
- Try adding belts with tunics or long shirts. If you happen to wear a top that's a bit longer, a belt gives the outfit a natural curve.
- Mix and match, and layer appropriately. Understand colors, patterns, cuts, and designs before adding each piece to your ensemble. It makes a huge difference, and it can either make or break the final look.
- Include jackets, blazers, cardigans, coats, and scarves for dimension. All these elements complement the figure-hugging leggings beautifully.
- Aim to look as though you didn't have to put a lot of effort in getting dressed. We want to keep the outfit trendy and chic, not hair-tearing, angst-filled incoordination.
- Think of them as pants. Leggings are skin-fitting and don't have any pockets. So, don't think that you can get away with substituting one for the other.
- Pair them with more leather; that's wrong in so many ways. Keep your leather jackets and tops for another time. With leggings, the only other leather that is passable is the shoes.
- Wear tennis or sports shoes with them. Leather leggings need you to embody your inner goddess. And ladies, trust me when I say this, these shoes add no type of hotness with the leggings.
- Wear them with knee-high boots if you have bigger thighs. Keep it casual, yet feisty with heels or a nice pair of loafers.
- Be scared of imitating a celebrity when styling your outfit. Yes, I know that some celebrities have the tendency of going overboard. But, you know what looks best on you more than anyone. The only thing is, don't be afraid to experiment and let loose sometimes.