Routers connect these networks to the Internet. While buying a network switch, price will obviously be a vital decisive factor. Network switches can cost you anywhere between USD 500 for a normal switch to around thousands of dollars for reputed brands. You should carefully evaluate your network needs on the basis of the points mentioned below, before buying the switch.
● How many primary ports do I need?
● How many uplink ports do I need?
● What is the primary speed that I am looking at?
● What is the uplink speed that I need?
● Do I need a core switch, or an access switch will suffice?
● What kind of customer support options do I need from the switch manufacturer? Will I get free or paid software updates?
● What will be the warranty period and terms of the product?
● Do I require remote monitoring, or will SNMP monitoring work for my networking needs?
● How much will the switch cost?