The deeper you go into understanding the depths of space, the more you sink and realize that there's an infinity to uncover. What could be more unusual than the mystery of the birth of the space. Did it just pop out of nowhere? I mean, did space came out from the depth of space itself? Confusing! For me, one of the fascinatingly unusual space facts is the existence of the nine planets in the Solar System. Well, now it is not nine anymore, as Pluto is out of the family. I have always been hovered by the thought of how do all these planets keep themselves aligned in such a manner. Whatever the technology is behind the structure of the Solar System, it is flawless. I can say that till now I haven't seen the planet Mars colliding with the statue of the big monkey, a few yards away from my house! Jokes apart, let us now begin out rapid fire space exploration on some of the coolest, weirdest and strangest space facts.
Amazing Space Facts
Amazing Space Facts
- It may happen that the grand grandchildren of our grand grandchildren, may never get to see the beauty of the Moon. According to experts, the silver beauty is creating a distance between itself and the Earth by 3.8 cm every year. If you wish to know more on facts about Moon, then this is one link you should check out.
- One of the interesting space facts which I came to know recently is about the sunlight which we love to adore in the wee hours. This light is about 30,000 years old! Boy, the Sun is one reliable piece of battery of the Nature!
- Here is one weird space fact you must know about. According to Greek legends, the formation of the Milky Way is credited to the Greek goddess Hera. The galaxy is believed to have formed by a spurt of milk from her breast thus, the name , 'Milky Way'. And that was just a spurt of milk!
- If you travel in space, then you can get 5 cm taller. The lack of gravity gives the sections of the spine the liberty to move a further apart.
- How long did your footprints stayed on the sand the last time you tried to play around on the beach? Well, the footprints which 'Moon man' Neil Armstrong, along with other astronauts made on the Moon, have a life of a million years' time.
- In space, if you make two clean, flat surfaces of similar metal touch each other, they would get stuck together permanently. That's not possible! This is what you must be saying to yourself now. This process is known as cold welding. It does not happen on Earth, because the atmosphere creates a layer of oxidized material between the surfaces, but it does happen in space.
- Have you ever wished to be as heavy as an elephant? Well, if you are on the Sun you can be so. The Sun's massiveness comes up to 346.38 times more than that of the earth. So with this kind of mass, the gravity would be a mammoth figure.
- How about counting all the stars in the galaxy. Remember, you have one sec to count each star. One, two, three, four,.... wait, I just came to know that it would take us 3000 years to complete the count! Boy, I will get late for my dinner. So let's drop the plan for now!
- Even if you shout into someone's ear at the top of your lungs, the person won't be able to hear you. This is because there is no air medium to transfer the sound to the listener's ear.
- All the planets in the Solar System have their rotation in an anticlockwise fashion. The planet Venus is one sheep that is out of the herd. It has a clockwise rotation.
- Another unusual fact about the space, is about the immense power of the Sun's energy that is produced every second. Experts say that this energy is equivalent to that which would be released if 100 nuclear bombs detonate at one time. People or animals even at 130 km, could be killed with just a pinhead of this energy.