Tomato Varieties to Grow in Your Backyard
|Name of the Variety||Days Needed to Mature|
|Aunt Gertie's Gold||75|
|Aunt Ginny's Purple Heirloom||79|
|Big Beef VFFNTA Hybrid||73|
|Big Boy Hybrid||78|
|Black from Tula||75|
|Black Moor Grape||75|
|Black Sea Man||75|
|Box Car Willie||80|
How many species of tomatoes are there? The answer is 'innumerable'. They come in various sizes and colors. The word 'tomato' creates a picture of red tomato before our eyes, but they can be yellow, purple, green and black. There can be a combination of two or more colors, and some tomatoes can even have stripes. Within each specific type and variety of tomato, there exist innumerable number of sub-types. Some of the major types of tomatoes are described below.
- Beefsteak Tomatoes: These are big tomatoes which are used for cooking, salad decoration or for various garnishes. Normally, a beefsteak tomato weighs around one pound, but it may weigh over two pounds also!
- Cherry Tomatoes: There are many varieties of cherry tomatoes. These tomatoes are as small as a cherry and are slightly sour in taste. They are usually added to salads, or can be eaten as such.
- Currant Tomatoes: These are as small as a pea, and they are known for their peculiar strong flavor. They are widely used in salads. You may use them for garnishing as well. Dietitians recommend their use, as they offer more health benefits than other tomato varieties.
- Globe Tomatoes: This is the most common variety. These are medium-sized tomatoes which are commonly used for cooking. Sliced globe tomatoes are used in hamburgers and all types of fast foods, including tomato soup recipes. You can enjoy tomato soup or salted slices with lunch or dinner.
- Grape Tomatoes: These tomatoes are shaped like grapes. The size also matches well with grapes. They are sweeter than most other varieties, and you can add them to salads or other vegetables.
- Pear Tomatoes: As the name suggests, they look like a pear. But they are almost like cherry tomatoes, if size is taken into consideration. They are eaten as a snack or can be used as an ingredient of a salad.
- Plum Tomatoes: These are oblong shaped tomatoes. They are comparatively thicker than other varieties, and have less seeds. This is one of the reasons, they are considered as the best types of tomatoes for sauce. They are used to make tomato paste too. Roma is the most popular variety of plum tomatoes. This is one of the best varieties of tomatoes that is used for canning. You can grow plum tomatoes easily in containers.