Swimming to Build Abs
As mentioned above, thorough all-body exercises, like swimming, can play an effective role in toning the abdominal muscles. A great advantage of swimming is that it puts a considerable amount of tension on the respiratory system, thereby burning up almost every gram of unwanted fat in the body. Even if you swim at a leisurely pace for a few hours every day, you should be able to lose abdominal fat in a short time, but if you swim by following rigorous workouts, you can build up terrific abdominal muscles.
All strainful activities must begin with a warm-up session. If you swim for about one hour, a warm-up session of at least 10 minutes is definitely necessary.
- The best workout to warm up your body is a 4 x 50 m session of each stroke.
- After you are done with the session, start with a 5 x 50 m to put your body into a good momentum.
- The butterfly stroke is the most effective swimming workout to develop your abs. Hence, the next set can be either a 5 x 50 m butterfly or a 10 x 50 m session of butterfly and freestyle strokes.
- If you choose the 5 x 50 m butterfly stroke, then make it a point to follow it up with a 5 x 50 m breaststroke or another set of butterfly stroke.
The next stage of your workout should be aimed at developing your endurance.
- Induct longer sets such as 5 x 100 m freestyle or 8 x 100 m medley. These sets will increase your stamina and boost your respiration considerably, thereby effectively burning the fat deposits in the abs.
- The last part of the workout should be specifically aimed at stressing your abdominal muscles. Start off by a simple 4 x 50 m of all individual strokes. Then follow it up with a 2 x 50 m set of freestyle and butterfly strokes.
- Swim the last 4 x 50 m with the strokes of your choice.
- You can also take up a more vigorous set of 4 x 50 m freestyle with 10 dips after every 50 m.
- After you are done with this workout, mildly cool down by doing a 50 m back stroke run in a gentle, relaxed manner. Cooling down is very important; if you stop the exercise at its peak, various muscles may cramp up.
- Apart from rigorous workouts for your abs, it is necessary to have a clean and healthy diet.
- Abstaining from frequent alcohol consumption, taking in plenty of carbohydrates and proteins and eating natural works wonders.
- Unless you consume enough proteins, you won't be able to rebuild the stressed and damaged muscles.