This tea is made by heating a few spearmint leaves in water. The word heating here has been used because the water containing the leaves should not be boiled. Another way of making the drink is to soak a few leaves in water for 5-10 minutes, and then heat the water. The strength of the flavor can be adjusted as per individual liking by using fewer or more leaves. Additives such as honey, brown sugar, and even milk can be added if required. Whether consumed hot or cold, the benefits of spearmint tea and its refreshing effect will remain the same.
Spearmint tea was considered by the Romans as a drink that stimulated the mind. As such, it was very popular among them. Some benefits of this tea have been enlisted here:
- The tea has become widely popular among women who suffer from mild symptoms of hirsutism, a disease characterized by the presence of excess male hormones or androgens in a woman's body. Women have found that drinking 2-5 cups of spearmint tea a day has helped reduce the presence of facial hair and unwanted hair on the breasts and stomach. Also, not only does it control androgens, but it also stimulates the production of female hormones, that includes the Follicle Stimulating Hormone (FSH).
- Androgens can over stimulate the sebaceous glands leading to oily skin and acne. Spearmint tea has anti-androgen properties, which helps control sudden outbursts of acne and considerably reduce its recurrence.
- Drinking a cup of this herbal tea after a meal will definitely smoothen the process of digestion, thereby preventing the occurrence of indigestion that occurs as a result of our sedentary lifestyle.
- Nausea is another health issue that is cured by the consumption of this tea. Its minty flavor soothes the system and helps control nausea, which may occur as a result of eating foods that do not agree with the digestive system.
This tea is special for women who are pregnant as it is known to cure health problems related to pregnancy.
- Some women suffer from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS), which refers to the presence of ovarian cysts that may cause irregular periods and lead to infertility. This occurs due to overactive male androgens in a woman's body. Drinking spearmint tea helps in regulating the menstrual cycle, and in turn, eases the process of ovulation or the ability to get pregnant in women who may suffer from PCOS.
- A miraculous drink for pregnant women, this tea cures women of the highly detested morning sickness, which is characterized by nausea.
- Heartburn, that is common among women who are pregnant, can also be treated by drinking this herbal tea.
- After childbirth, this tea can help stop breastfeeding when necessary.
Excessive consumption of spearmint tea can have certain undesirable side effects. They are:
- The effect that this tea has on women regarding the reduction of androgens in the body is also applicable to men. As such, it should be consumed in moderate amounts.
- Excess consumption of this tea is also known to reduce male and female libido.
- Pregnant women should exercise caution with this tea as an excess will lead to problems during pregnancy.
- Also, since the tea helps stop the production of breast milk, it should be consumed wisely as it may have this effect before the baby can be put on other feeding methods.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.