If infection is the main cause of a sore tooth, the most simple and effective home remedy is to gargle with salt water. The salt draws out water from the pathogens and dehydrates them. So, salt can be effectively used for killing bacteria and other germs. In addition, gargling with saline water helps in easy cleaning of the teeth.
The effectiveness of a salt water gargle for alleviating tooth soreness depends upon correct preparation of the solution. In short, you should know the quantity of salt and baking soda to be added in a specific amount of water. After all, the salt is used as a desiccating agent for killing the pathogens. There are two concentrations of saline water - isotonic and hypertonic.
- Take 500 ml of pure water (filtered or distilled) in a glass.
- The temperature of the water should not be too low, as many of us are sensitive to very cold water and food items.
- To this, add one teaspoon each of table salt and baking soda.
- Stir the mixture well and gargle.
- For getting relief from sore tooth, gargle with isotonic saline for three times daily, or as directed by your dentist.
- Hypertonic, as the name suggests, is more concentrated than the isotonic solution. It is usually recommended for severe toothache.
- To prepare this saline, one needs to add two teaspoons of table salt and one teaspoon of baking soda in 500 ml of water.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly till the salt and baking soda dissolve completely.
- For severe toothache, gargle with hypertonic saline solution three times daily or as prescribed by your dentist.
Besides salt water gargling, there are many home remedies that can be tried in case of a toothache. Some of the self-care tips that you can adopt at home are given below.
- Rubbing the affected area with an ice cube for 3 - 4 minutes will numb the area and alleviate toothache instantly.
- Use of garlic as a sore tooth home remedy is known to us since a long time. You can place a garlic clove with rock salt on the affected area.
- Putting 2 - 3 drops of vanilla extract will give immediate relief from toothache.
- In case of infection, grind wheat grass and gargle with the extract. This will kill the bacteria and cure the toothache.
- Using cloves is an age-old remedy for sore tooth. Just place a few cloves over the affected tooth and chew lightly.
- Similarly, applying clove oil will help in curing a sore tooth. One can add a pinch of pepper powder for better results.
- Grind asafoetida in lemon juice; then heat the mixture till it becomes lukewarm and apply on the affected tooth with the help of a cotton swab. This will help soothe the toothache.
- At times, a sore tooth is caused due to poor oral hygiene and consumption of sugar rich food items. Speaking about dental care, proper cleaning of teeth is always recommended. One should brush the teeth in a circular motion and then slightly brush the gums for enhancing blood circulation. Also, don't forget to clean the tongue with a tongue cleaner.
- If the toothache does not subside with the aforementioned home remedies, use painkillers or apply pain relieving lotions on the area around the sore tooth.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.