More About the Six traits of Writing
- Ideas - Ideas are the core of any written work, which acts as the focal point around which the writing revolves. The idea can be a topic, which should be important for the writer as well as the person judging it. The piece should express the idea properly and clearly, it should provide an insight to the reader regarding the point that it is trying to prove. A well structured and well thought of idea always conveys a meaning and puts forth a focused and detailed know-how of the topic. So, the idea or content should be clear, controlled, focused, original, and complete.
- Organization - The piece of writing should be appealing, connected, sequenced, and should have a good speed. It should not be boring and slow. An introduction and conclusion should be present. A certain well-defined path should be taken while writing, so that one can establish the facts that one wants to put forward through the piece. The transition from one point to the other gives it a structure and sense of purpose.
- Voice - It is the personality of the writer that comes out through the voice used in the piece. It gives the piece of writing its own flavor and character. Voice demands the writer to be committed to the writing that he does and the reader also the feels that the person who has written the piece is a real person. The voice also exposes the involvement of the writer with the topic and establishes a connection with the readers.
- Word Choice - The choice of words should be such that it reveals the feelings and intentions of the writer instead of making them more complex to understand. The writer should use natural, creative, and simple word combinations. The choice of verbs should be such that they are active and energetic. The modifiers and nouns should be concrete and precise. Redundancy should be the least and the words should be aimed towards gaining the accurate expression.
- Sentence Fluency - Sentences should be such that they are easy to read and understand. The writer has to identify the correct sentence to express a certain feeling. Out of all the many possible ways that are there to express something, the one that is simple and accurate has to be used. The sentence structure should have a natural and pleasant rhythm, though there are various types and lengths. The structure should enhance the meaning of the expression. There should be an effective use of conjunctions and transitions.
- Conventions - These act as the rules of language and they consist of correct spelling, correct punctuation, and correct and apt use of grammar. There should be correct capitalization and the piece of writing should be designed in such a way that it is easier to read.