- Shrimp, 1 lb. (shelled and deveined with shells reserved)
- Water, 4 cups
- Squid, 1 lb.
- Olive Oil, 2 tbsp.
- Salt, 1½ tsp.
- Rice, 2 cups (medium size grain)
- Sea Scallops, 1 lb.
- Frozen Peas, 1 cup
- Onion, 1 (chopped)
- Saffron, ⅛ tsp. (ground)
- Garlic Cloves, 3 (thinly sliced)
- Red Pepper, 1 (cut into thin strips)
- Tomatoes, 1 cup (with juice and chopped)
For the shrimp stock:
Take a saucepan and combine the shrimp shells with some water. Bring this to boil and then reduce heat. Cover it partially and let it simmer for half an hour. Then, strain this through a sieve and discard the shells.
In the meantime, rinse the squid with some cold running water and pat them dry with paper towels. You need to slice them crosswise into ½ inch rings. Then, cut the tentacles into 1" piece. Heat some oil in a non-stick skillet over a medium-low flame and place onion and garlic in it. Cook with constant stirring for about 8 minutes. Once the onion turns tender, add red pepper and cook for 4 minutes. Then, add some squids and cook for about 2 minutes. Once done, add some tomatoes with their juice along with the shrimp broth, and sprinkle some salt for taste. Heat the preparation till it boils and then, reduce the heat. Cover and let it simmer for half an hour. Now, add rice, the remainder shrimp stock, saffron, and salt. Cook it to a boiling point over high heat. Once done, cover it and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
Now, pull and discard the tough muscle from each scallop and cut it in a horizontal way. Then, stir the scallops with the shrimp, frozen peas, and the rice mixture in a skillet. Cover the skillet and cook this preparation for another 10 minutes. Your dish is ready to be served.
With Mange-tout and Mixed Seafood
- Olive Oil, 30 ml.
- Saffron, 5 ml.
- Onion, 1 (finely chopped)
- Garlic Cloves, 2 (crushed)
- Rice, 0.77 oz. (long grains)
- Tomatoes, 2 (skinned and finely chopped)
- Mixed Seafood, 1 kg (fish, prawns, and mussels)
- Fresh Coriander, 30 gm. (chopped)
- Mange-tout, 0.44 oz. (trimmed)
- Fresh Lemons (cut into wedges)
- Green Pepper, 1 (seeded and chopped)
- Red / Orange Pepper, 1 (seeded and cut into strips)
- Carrots, 2 (peeled and cut into thin strips)
Heat some oil in a large frying pan. Then, add onions, carrots, red, and green peppers. Fry this over low heat for around 2 minutes. Then, add garlic with tomatoes and saffron, and fry it for 3 minutes. Once done, add the rice as well and stir to coat it evenly. Now, you can add some stock or water and bring the preparation to a boil. Let it simmer for 10 minutes. Next, you need to add the seafood with coriander and mange-tout. Stir well. Then, cover and let it simmer for another 10 minutes. You can even add water to maintain the consistency. Once the rice becomes tender, sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper over it as garnish. Serve it hot.