Expeller: Mechanical force is used to press the oil out of the seeds. This keeps all the natural constituents in the oil intact and is more beneficial.
Although both types are used for cooking, the use of monounsaturated safflower oil is more prevalent. This is because this oil has a high smoke point and hence is ideal for deep-frying. In addition to this, it also has a long shelf life. Polyunsaturated safflower oil, on the other hand, has a low smoke point and becomes rancid when heated. It needs to be stored in a cool and dark place, and its use in cooking is limited to salad dressings and the like.
- Safflower oil has the highest source of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFA) than that found in any other type of vegetable oil: almost 79 percent PUFA (linoleic acid).
- It also contains 13 percent of monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA) (oleic acid) and only 8 percent of saturated fatty acids.
- The other essential nutrients present in safflower oil are Omega-6 fatty acids, cis-linoleic acid, vitamin E, and vitamin K.
- It also contains a small amount of choline.
- Substitute your cooking oil with MUFA-enriched safflower oil.
- Drizzle it generously on your salads.
- Instead of butter, use safflower oil in your cake and bread recipes.
- Use it in dips, like hummus.
- You can choose to use safflower oil singly or in combination with olive oil and coconut oil, which are proven to be extremely beneficial to hair.
- You may also choose to heat the oil till it is lukewarm, just to help the hair relax better.
- Begin with the ends and then proceed to massaging the oil gently on the scalp.
- Leaving the oil overnight is the best way to let the oil fully seep into the scalp and provide all the nourishment it is capable of. But, if you're strapped for time, leaving it on for an hour is enough.
- If going outdoors with oiled hair, make sure you cover it so as to avoid dirt and pollution getting to it.
- Simply take a few drops of safflower oil in your hand, rub your palms together and apply generously on your face, arms, and legs.
- While buying your skincare products, check the ingredients for safflower oil.