Most people can be seen wasting resources. However, when it comes to bringing about a change, it turns into a blame game. We must realize that before we blame others, we should take this matter in our hands. There are a plenty of things we can do as an individual, but to start with, let us take a look at the importance of recycling and know about this humongous issue that needs to be dealt with, by each and every one of us.
Importance of Recycling
» Plastics and Waster Paper
Deforestation is a major issue being faced by our planet. This is because man uses natural resources to fulfill his needs. The increasing demand for the natural resources is directly proportional to the degree of destruction that the planet undergoes, thus depleting its resources. Think about all the trees that are being axed in the forests today. Your habits of wasting paper could be one of the million reasons that contribute towards such environmental hazards. If we continue exploiting the limited supply of nature for our purposes, a day would probably arrive when we don't really have anything to turn to.
In addition to the wasteful usage of natural resources, we scourge other resources of energy such as electricity too. Simple examples of this can be switching on lights during daytime or keeping the air conditioner on for longer hours. The only feasible solution to this problem is giving a serious consideration to the usage of energy. This can be implemented by using energy only when required. Moreover, the concept of recycling will definitely benefit us in our everyday life.
» Combination of Wastes and Non-biodegradable Wastes
Although recycling helps prevent loss of essential resources, not every used resource can be recycled. Certain products are formed from a number of materials put together. Furthermore, these products cannot be recycled. Thus, more the number of non-biodegradable products, greater is the matter added to landfills. Therefore, in addition to recycling, we must give a serious thought to the amount of waste that gets generated on a daily basis. If the amount of waste keeps increasing over time, a time will soon arrive when there would really be no more space on the Earth to accommodate all the junk we add. Thus, the lesser the non-biodegradable waste, the better it is.
In addition to being aware of the importance of recycling, it important to adhere to certain guidelines to understate the problem of environmental destruction. Being aware of our responsibilities is a step towards saving our planet. Recycling would also reduce the levels of pollution; we would, thus, have clean air to breathe.
» Ever-increasing Landfills
Recycling products made of plastic, aluminum, cardboard, and paper helps to conserve energy and doesn't add more to the already-crowded landfills. This initiative would not only save energy, but subsequently help you turn the Earth into a greener planet.
Probably you would now be thinking about ways to recycle! If you haven't already, then you must read about some tips you could use to implement the concept of recycling on an everyday basis.
How to Recycle
We must follow through this process by employing the concepts: Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
We need to cut down (Reduce) on the use of non-biodegradable objects, we need to reuse objects as often as possible, and recycle them on use. Let us learn a few ways by which you can help the environment by curbing this problem.
- Whenever you shop, prefer buying products that have the least amount of packaging.
- Remember to keep a check on the use of plastic. While shopping, carry cloth bags with you. This certainly helps in case you have a penchant for shopping and end up with huge parcels! Reuse plastic bags you have at home and avoid adding more to the heap.
- Reuse scraps of paper (envelopes, mailers etc). Do not use fresh sheets for things you don't need.
- Do not dump left over food in the trash bin. Place it in a compost bin and use it later to make organic fertilizer.
- Find out about local recycling centers/programs. Assist them in the process by segregating objects that can be recycled at home.
- Reduce energy usage at your home and office as well. For example, cut down on the use of air conditioners.
- Purchase recycled products. In this way, you would also be lending your support for a good cause.
- Convert old items into interesting objects rather than throwing them away. For example, old cards can be reused to create something new or an old bottle can be converted into an interesting showpiece! Use your creativity to the fullest.
- Use rechargeable batteries as they have a longer life. Once used completely, do not dispose them off with your daily garbage; give them off to be recycled.