Raw honey can be used as an alternative for sugar or simply as a supplement due to its nutrient content, and is considered as a great herbal remedy for several ailments. Some health benefits, apart from its use in natural skin care products, are:
- Relieves cough
- Aids digestion
- Soothes sore throat
- Gives relief from pain
- Used for allergy relief
- Reduces muscle fatigue
- Calms the nerves and reduces anxiety
- Boosts immunity and increases energy
With thousands of skin care products available in the market, we are often baffled by the choice. Though most of these products are expensive, we tend to be misled by the commercials and cause our skin more harm than good. Thus, people have started realizing the benefits of natural products which are safe and healthy. This has led to the rediscovery of honey as an important ingredient in beauty treatment.
These are some amazing raw honey benefits for skin, as a result of its topical use:
- Healing Wounds: Due to its antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties, it is used for treating cuts, burns, rashes, ulcers, and wounds. It reduces swelling, controls infection, and promotes healing by acting as a protective barrier over the wound. Its application 2 -3 times a day on the affected area stimulates tissue growth and repairs damaged skin.
- Anti-Aging Properties: Its use in treatment of wrinkles and fine lines caused due to aging and environmental factors is popular. Its anti-aging property of attracting and retaining moisture reduces the appearance of wrinkles, by keeping the skin hydrated without causing oiliness. It is known to increase production of collagen fibers and improving skin elasticity, thereby assisting cell regeneration for a more youthful look.
- Reduces Blemishes and Acne: Oily skin usually results in acne, patchy skin, blemishes, and blackheads. It has the property of removing impurities by unclogging pores and preventing breakouts. It penetrates deep into the skin and promotes acne healing by killing the harmful bacteria and reduces scar formation. Regular application on the affected area reduces acne scars and blemishes, and is considered to be the safest and most natural cure.
- Protection against Sunburn Antioxidants present in it protect the skin against the harmful rays of the sun. It defends the skin from damage, rejuvenates and refreshes the skin, making it healthy, supple, and soft.
- Exfoliates and Nourishes Dry Skin: Exfoliating is an important part of daily skin care routines to remove dead cells and reveal radiant skin. Raw honey gently exfoliates the skin and stimulates circulation without causing irritation and dryness. It is a humectant which has the quality of attracting and retaining moisture, so it balances the skin moisture to give a soft glowing complexion.
- Cures Ringworm and Fungal Infections: Ringworm is a contagious fungal infection mostly affecting children. Using raw honey is the most effective treatment against ringworm and other fungal infections. Its anti fungal properties destroy the microorganisms that cause these infections.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.