The first thing you realize is that this process isn't as simple as you thought it would be. It's not simply going to the shop, lying on the mattress to check for comfort, and subsequently placing the order according to measurements. It is a little more technical than that.
Like all things, you need to be prepared for mattress purchasing. You need to be prepared with all the information you can get. Go to different stores and find out about types and styles. Talk to friends who have recently bought mattresses. Gear up with all the information...after all nobody wants to be conned into buying something they did not want and is nothing more than a headache (or rather backache).
Things to Know While Buying a Mattress
- Durability: You need a mattress that is going to last you for a while, do you really want to go shopping again after a year? A good one should last you five to ten years. This depends on how you use it as well as its quality and padding. It should be made of good quality materials for it to last you a decade.
- Box Spring: The box spring is as important if not more important than the mattress itself. Never put a new mattress on an old box, it's the worst thing you could do for your back. They have to complement each other perfectly.
- Soft or Hard: You need to decide what kind of mattress you want. Do you want a soft one or a hard one? The best way to judge the mattress is to lie down on it and test it. Also, never rely on the brand...always test it!
- Warranty: Always check for the warranty period offered. Never buy one that provides only a one-year warranty, there is something wrong with it as most companies offer twenty-year warranties. So remember that one with a warranty above ten years is acceptable.
- Measurements: Always take your bed measurements with you to get the right sized mattress. There are several types in the market and there is no standard size, so measure properly.
- Coils: Each mattress will have coils and springs inside it. Do not get talked into buying one because it has extra coils. This does not mean it is of good quality. Choose one according to its quality and only after trying it out.
- Comparison: Another bit of advice is that you should do a comparison before deciding on one particular product. Compare different mattresses according to their pads, springs, coils and also do not forget to compare their price and warranty period.