➡ One of the most commonly found cause is food allergy. It occurs if you eat any food that can trigger allergies in your body. The immune system then responds to it by pushing out the ingested allergen from the body to the skin surface. As a result, a number of pimples develop on the tongue.
➡ An injury caused by friction with crispy foods, or hard candies, or due to an accidental biting of the tongue; can lead to formation of various pimple like bumps on the tongue.
➡ Excessive consumption of fatty foods can be responsible for this problem as well. Your body tries to get rid of the extra fat by releasing more oils through the skin which can block up the tongue pores. This is an ideal environment for the bacteria present in the oral cavity to grow on the tongue surface and cause zits.
➡ Pimples often break out on the tongue when you are suffering from viral infections like flu or oral herpes. They will disappear once the infection subsides.
➡ A form of yeast infection known as oral thrush or oral candidiasis, can give white pimples on the surface of the tongue. If the taste buds of the tongue get irritated and inflamed due to some reason, then red pimples appear.
➡ If the skin of your tongue is unclean, then the germs will set up their base in those pores, and pimples would form on it.
The problem you face while treating this condition, is that you cannot apply any of the topical ointment on the tongue, due to obvious reasons. Even doctors do not give any antibiotics for its treatment unless and until, the condition is really serious. Therefore, using some home remedies to cure this condition will be helpful. Here are some easy ways for the same.
- Gargling with warm salt water for 2-3 times in a day can reduce the size of pimples. It will not only bring down the pain and inflammation quickly, but will prevent the infection from spreading further.
- Gargling with medicated mouthwash has been proven to be extremely helpful. The components of mouthwash kill the bacteria inside the mouth, and provide relief.
- Chewing fresh mint leaves before going to bed will decrease the pimple size by next morning.
- Application of a paste prepared with baking soda and hydrogen peroxide on the affected part of the tongue can keep the bacterial infection under control.
- Milk of magnesia can reduce the soreness of the pimple. For this, dab a cotton swab into the milk of magnesia, and apply it over the tongue at least twice a day.
- In many cases, it has been found that pimples on the tongue is a symptom of vitamin B deficiency. So, the intake of vitamin B supplements for a week can bring about some improvement in the condition. However, it is important to consult a doctor before you take any medicine or supplement.
Disclaimer: This article is meant for educational purposes only. It should not be used as a substitute for proper medical advice and treatment.