If you have the paper mache ready at hand, then you can directly start making the planets. It can also be prepared at home with common household materials. The glue has a thick consistency that immediately sticks papers and other materials on to the surface. Making the planets is not at all a difficult task.
Making the Paste
- Boil 5 cups of water in a saucepan and add 1 cup of white flour to it. Stir the mixture continuously.
- Now add 2 teaspoons of white glue to the mixture and keep stirring on a low flame.
- Ensure that the flour has dissolved completely in the solution and no coagulation has taken place.
- You can adjust the consistency by adding the desired amount of flour and water.
- Let the mixture cool to form a smooth paste.
- The glue will be utilized for pasting the papers and fixing them tightly on the artificial planets.
- They could be made from balloons, thermocol, cardboard or molded round shaped structures.
- Refer to a model of solar system for their size. Start inflating the balloon according to the size of the planets and keep them aside.
- The same can be made with cardboard also. For that, you have to buy a moderately hard cardboard paper and then roll it in the form of a ball. Ready-made cardboard balls are also available in departmental stores.
- You will require large amount of newspaper for covering the spheres.
- Cut strips from newspapers having approximate size of 7-8 inches in length and 3-4 inches in width.
- Cover the balloons with these strips using the glue.
- Apply heavy coats of glue on the strips so that they do not fall off.
- Follow the same procedure for coating the cardboard balls.
- Let them dry overnight before you proceed with the coloring.
- Once dried, start painting with specific colors to make them look original.
- To bring out the color, you can also replace newspapers with blank white sheets.
- Dry the balloons and then hang them on a plastic stand having 9 arms for the planets and a centrally located axis for the sun.
- The stand could also be created with the help of a cardboard. Cut out 9 long strips of cardboard and a comparatively thicker strip separately.
- Make the axis with the thick strip and secure the other strips with glue and woolen threads to its stem.
- Add a hook at the end of each arm and fix the balloons.