Similar to the cholesterol test, triglyceride testing measures the amount present in the blood plasma. The normal triglyceride level is less than 150 mg/dL (milligram per deciliter), while a reading within the range of 200 - 499 mg/dL is considered as high. Elevated triglyceride in the blood plasma, more than the recommended level is referred to as hypertriglyceridemia. This condition is associated with coronary heart diseases, atherosclerosis, stroke, untreated diabetes, and other health problems. Thus, lowering triglycerides is a practical approach to avoid serious health complications.
Tips for Lowering Triglycerides Fast
While speaking about how to lower triglycerides fast, the most important step is understanding the various causes of it. Both hereditary and environmental aspects play a major role in increasing blood triglyceride levels. To mention a few, the basic factors responsible for this medical problem are older age, unhealthy lifestyle habits, poor diet, underlying diseases, and medicine side effects. On the brighter side, you can follow effective ways to lower triglycerides quickly.
Check the Diet
As per food nutrition studies, high amounts of triglycerides are present in animal fats and vegetable oils. So, the more you consume them, the higher will be the triglyceride level. To be precise, anything that increases your blood sugar level also elevates triglycerides. To aid in natural reduction of triglyceride levels, the diet should be planned properly with basic tips like:
- Cutting Down the Sugar Intake - Consuming foods that contain high sugar and simple carbohydrates increases triglycerides level. Plan your diet accordingly and cut down the amount of sugar intake daily to lower triglycerides.
- Add Fiber Rich foods - Foods containing high fiber are good choices to lower triglycerides in the natural way. Hence, incorporate high fiber foods like whole grains, cereals, and green leafy vegetables as much as possible.
- Include Fish - Salmon, tuna, and sardines contain omega-3 essential fatty acids that are effective for reducing triglycerides. Include such fish in the diet for combating the risk of cardiovascular diseases.
- Avoid Alcoholic Beverages - Generally, alcoholic drinks contain high sugar, which is a triggering factor for increasing triglycerides. Abstain from drinking alcohol to effectively lower the same.
- Avoid Sweet Desserts - Though it is hard to resist sweet goodies, it is crucial for lowering triglycerides fast. Avoid sweetened foods like ice cream, cakes, cookies, and pies for getting prompt results.
Taken at a glance, overweight and obese people have higher chances of developing hypertriglyceridemia condition than those who have a normal weight value. The fact is living a sedentary lifestyle or not performing regular physical activities are the risk factors for this condition. So, to reduce triglyceride levels, you can implement the following healthy tips:
- Perform Exercise - Exercise promotes the release of stored fat from the fatty cells, thus lowering its level in the blood plasma. Overall, participating in regular physical activities aids in burning calories, thus preventing fat storage.
- Do not Overeat - Some of us have a habit of excess eating and late night snacking, both of which are prime causes for elevated triglycerides. Do not indulge in eating heavy meals at a time, instead try small servings at regular intervals.
- Maintain Healthy Weight - Maintaining your weight within the healthy range is a simple tip to avoid the risk of high triglycerides. The logic is to consume correct amounts of calories and prevent accumulation of fat.
- Quit Smoking - Even though smoking is not directly related to increasing blood triglyceride, it is a major risk factor for worsening heart diseases and other cardiovascular complications. Hence for better health, quit smoking and opt for a healthy living.