Simple Landscaping Ideas
Before you start with your front yard landscaping plan, there are a few things that you need to keep in mind. A landscaped garden or front yard is the first thing that guests and passersby will notice when they enter your home. So, it should be such that it is inviting and relaxing. Also the architectural style of the house, will have a bearing on the kind of landscape you should have. A cottage style house needs very simple and rustic landscaping and looks great with bamboo or wood fencing and lot of colorful flower beds. On the other hand, if your house is built in a modern style with glass and chrome, then water elements like fountains, as well as a rock garden, will look very appealing. Given below are some ideas for landscaping your garden or yard.
- One of the best landscaping ideas for front of house is to plant trees and shrubs as well as flowers. Selecting the right ornamental trees for landscaping as well as shrubs and bushes for landscaping is very important, since their height and structure has a bearing on the overall exterior of the house.
- It is a good idea to draw up a plan for landscaping your house, instead of randomly planting shrubs, bushes and trees. This will enable you to have a clear idea of how the finished landscaped project will look.
- While designing your front yard, you should see to it that the placement of tress, shrubs and landscaping bushes is such that it showcases the front of the house, like the doorway or the driveway.
- In addition to this, you have to plant shrubs in such a manner, that they appear balanced and harmonious. A balanced landscaped is one where there is equal number of trees, plants and bushes on either side of the house. Imagine how lopsided and unsymmetrical the landscape would look if there is more number of tress and shrubs on one side and other side is completely barren. You have to remember this design principle while considering landscaping ideas for front yard.
- Another good landscaping ideas is to choose a special feature like a fountain, a graceful sculpture, sundial or a birdhouse. These features provide visual interest to a house, and make it look more attractive.
- For a country-style house, you can opt for a beautiful lattice work fence and gate. This type of fencing pattern goes well with an informal garden design.
- Stone sidewalks from the entrance of the house to the gate also looks quite attractive. You can choose natural stones like river washed stones, small pebbles, slate and crushed granite.
- For a modern home, a Zen garden works quite beautifully with the clean lines of the house. You can also opt for irregularly placed flagstone pavers to create a path from front door to the side of the house.
- Planting flower beds with flowers in two to three contrasting colors near the house is also a great front yard landscaping ideas.
- Accentuate the space between the flower beds and the lawn by using stacked flagstones as edging. You can also use bricks or cobblestone for creating unique edging.
- Lastly, do remember to install outdoor lighting in your front yard to illuminate the pathway. Low-voltage landscape lighting makes a huge difference to the landscape and also provides safety and security.