He is the one who looks after the planning, organizing, controlling, and management of all the IT employees, operations as well as quality, and all the issues and projects pertaining to information technology. He is actually the highest authority in the IT department, who is responsible for the overall planning and development of the domain.
IT Director Educational Requirements
IT directors work on the highest level of management, and therefore need to be knowledgeable and capable enough to handle the technical as well the management aspect of the IT department. People who wish to become IT directors need to have at least a bachelor's degree in information technology, computer sciences or business administration. Candidates having a technical degree as well as business management qualification are more preferred by the employers, and the pay scale also is high. Apart from formal education, an IT director must have excellent communication skills, analyzing abilities, and management skills.
Director of IT Job Description
IT director job description involves a vast array of duties within his department. Some of the major IT director job responsibilities are:
- The core job of an IT director is to work on various IT developmental programs that would help the organization reach newer heights. But here, he also needs to take care that all the programs and projects are designed from the point of view of achieving the organizational goals and objectives.
- He needs to manage human resources within the IT department in liaison with the human resource management department of the organization. He has to motivate the staff to perform well and also work on plans for employee welfare.
- He has to set annual targets related to IT operations and monitor the overall performance of the entire department.
- The IT director needs to communicate with the clients for service level agreements and ensure that they are annually met.
- He needs to monitor network security and supervise the entire network system of the organization.
- He also has to design IT policies and implement them with the consent of the other board of directors.
- An IT director needs to prepare an annual business plan for the IT department, by coordinating with other departmental heads and also the junior level management of the IT department.
- He should come up with innovative ideas and keep tabs of the latest technology. Figuring out the strategies applied by the nearest competitors is another important part of all the IT director duties.
IT director salary range largely depends on the size and type of the employer, volume of business, educational qualifications, experience of actual work, etc.
|0 - 1|
|5 - 10|
|10 - 20|
IT is a booming industry and there are ample career opportunities in the operational as well as management level in this field. Therefore, the scope for career development in this industry is the highest.