Data Recovery Software
While the iPhone is a complicated device, loss of data is no new thing. However, without panicking, you can recover your lost data by using a popular data recovery software specially designed for Apple devices. Follow the steps given below:
1. Before downloading any software, make sure you stop uploading new music or image files into your iPhone. The moment you realize that your data is lost, you should not transfer any file from iPhone to Windows OS, and vice-versa. Chances are that they will end up being corrupted too.
2. Download a good data recovery software for your iPhone that is capable of searching for the deleted files onto your phone's hard-drive. There are many techniques and software available on the Internet, many of which are free of cost. However, paid software such as iCare Format Recovery, iPhone Data Recovery Software, and DriveSavers are brilliant picks for the recovery of all kinds of data lost from your iPhone.
3. Make sure you have 50 MB of hard-disk space available on your phone, and approx. 512 MB of memory free. The reason behind this is the fact that the software would not be able to operate properly if there is no adequate space free in the system.
4. When the software is downloaded, install and run it on your phone. It will take a while to crawl through your iPhone's hard-disk in search for all the lost data.
Tip: After a thorough crawling, the data recovery software will recover all your data back to its original place. Remember, you should go for such software only when you have never backed-up your data on your computer before. However, if you've already made a back-up of all your files on your PC with the help of iTunes, in three simple steps, you can get all your data back to your iPhone. Some more software options are lined up below:
- iPhone Backup Extractor
- Paraben's iRecovery Stick
- MiniTool Power Data Recovery
- Data Recovery Mac
Recovering Lost Data: iTunes
Just a single sync, and you have all your data backed up in iTunes. If you're convinced you backed up all the data on your iPhone before any data was lost, iTunes can very well help you out in recovering it. Here's how:
1. The first step is to connect your iPhone with your PC in the very normal way you sync both.
2. Look for the back-up of your files on your computer. You'll find it in the C drive of your computer, unless you have saved it manually somewhere else. Here go the paths:
For Windows XP or Vista: C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup
For Mac: Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup
3. When you're successful in following the path, you will see a filename that has an .mdbackup extension. This is your back-up. Click on it.
4. Select the option that says Restore, and your files will be sent to the phone from your PC. Note that, restoring contacts is difficult in this case, and you have to get them in a file, and manually feed them. However, it's much better than losing 'em all mysteriously.
Method Two is always advisable for the DIY kinds, and is definitely the very first option (cheapest too) for iPhone users. However, for those who know their lost files don't exist in the iTunes backup folder, Method One is highly recommended. Some of them might cost a bomb, but the results are satisfactory. As the last bit of advice, always create a backup of your data in your iTunes folder to avoid all kinds of data loss.