Make Spearmint Tea from Fresh Leaves
To prepare the tea, you'll require a handful of spearmint leaves (properly washed), 4 cups of water, and honey. You can add 2% milk or sweet cream if you like. Once you have the ingredients, begin following the steps.
- In a pot, pour the 4 cups of water and place it on low heat.
- Add the washed spearmint leaves in with the water and let the water turn warm.
- We don't want to boil the water; just heat it. The warmer the water, the stronger the tea.
- Remove the pot off the stove and let the leaves steep in the water.
- After few minutes, strain the tea with a colander so the leaves are caught by it.
- Discard the leaves and let the tea cool down a bit.
- Add honey and milk or cream in the tea to your liking (quantity depends on you). Stir the tea properly and sip.
Variation #2 - Another method of preparing the tea is by soaking fresh spearmint leaves in water. Take a handful of leaves and place them in a pot. Pour 4 cups of water from the top and let the leaves soak in for 10 to 12 minutes. The soaked leaves will leave their flavor in the water. Make sure you only heat the water and not boil it (this step is very, very crucial). Remove the leaves from the pot and heat the water over on low. Once the water is warm enough, strain and sip the tea.
How to Make Tea from Spearmint Leaf Tea Bags
If you can't grow the plant in your garden or have access to fresh spearmint leaves, you can use tea bags instead. To learn how the tea is made with tea bags, here are the directions.
- In a pot, heat 1 ½ cups of water over low heat.
- In a cup, place one spearmint tea bag and wait for the water to heat.
- Once the water is ready, pour it over the tea bag.
- Let the tea bag steep in hot (not boiling) water for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Depending on how strong or light you want the tea, steep the tea bag accordingly.
- When the tea is ready, remove and discard the tea bag.
- Add honey and/or cream if you like, and enjoy your tea.