How to Make a Poseidon Costume for Kids
- You will need to make a toga for Neptune. You can do this by using a blue or turquoise colored sheet or shawl for making one. The sheet must drape over one shoulder and slide diagonally. You can make the child wear a sleeveless top so that the other shoulder is covered as well. Drape the sheet over the sleeveless top and then secure the costume with a belt.
- The belt will need to be thick, bold and golden in color. You can wrap golden paper on the belt, buy a golden-colored belt or simply paint one with paint so as to make do for the event.
- If you wish your Poseidon to have legs and not a fish tail. You must get those tie up roman shoes. You can make these with golden or black sandals, with similar colored ribbons attached to them. Tie the ribbon in a crisscross pattern, and let it rise until the mid calf and then tie it firmly.
- You will also need to make a crown. Which can be made into a wreath like string which can be tied around the child's head. A simple golden ribbon twisted into plaits can be used as the crown. If you wish to go in for the conventional crown, you can make one using cardboard.
- Cut the cardboard in such a way that there are triangles coming out forming the top of the crown. While the base can be left uncut so that it forms into a belt. This belt must fit your child's head so ensure that it is cut a bit longer than the actual size of the head.
- Now, you can either paint the crown or you could wrap it with golden paper and then fold the edges evenly. Or you could simply rent a crown for a day from a costume shop, if making the crown is too much trouble and you're running out of time. It's safer to rent one out, because kids can get really picky and upset if they do not like the way, a part of their costume looks.
- You can stick flat seashells to your costume and buy toy star fish which you can add to the dress.
- Finally the finishing touch would require adding the ever so famous Trident. It's better to rent one, instead of making it. However if you can't find one, make it using a stick as tall as your child. Add the three prongs using cardboard. Wrap the stick with golden paper or simply paint the entire thing.