Benefits of Herbal Tea
Herbal tea usually contains one or many medicinal ingredients, which have several therapeutic functions. It helps in relaxation, improves heart health, strengthens the immune system, and cleans the body's toxic matter. It also acts as an antioxidant and energy booster. It is effective for losing weight as well as getting a good night's sleep.
There are numerous ingredients or herbs used, each having a significance of its own. The commonly used ingredients are:
- Cinnamon: It helps in healthy blood circulation and digestion.
- Ginseng: It maintains the vitality of the body.
- Chamomile: It is anti-inflammatory and has antiseptic properties.
- Parsley: It helps in the proper functioning of the kidney. It also acts as a diuretic.
- Lemon Grass: It has calming and relaxing properties.
- Ginger Root: It provides relief to people suffering from lung congestion, nausea, indigestion, and arthritis.
- Pepper Mint: It acts as a stress buster.
- Hawthorne: It improves heart health and blood circulation.
- Rose Hips: It is rich in Vitamin C and acts as a tonic for the kidney, liver, and blood.
- Slippery Elm: It relieves stomach cramps and various gastrointestinal problems.
- Allspice: It relieves common cold as well as stomach problems
As stated earlier, this beverage is made from a combination of many ingredients, that help in curing various medical conditions. This actually makes it easy for you to select the desired set of herbs and try some homemade recipes. Given below are some of the combination of various herbs that work as a great therapeutic blend for curing various medical conditions.
½ tsp. of Ginger Root (dried) + 1 tsp. of Chamomile Flowers + ½ tsp. of Clove Blossoms.
1½ oz. of Vervain Leaves (dried) + ½ oz. of Spearmint + 1 oz. Chamomile
For Flu and Cough
1 oz. Blackberry Leaves + 1 oz. Linden Flowers + 1 oz. Elder Flowers + 1 oz. of Peppermint Leaves
For an Upset Stomach
1½ oz. of Mullein Flowers + 2 oz. of Malva Flowers
1 oz. Valerian Leaves + ½ oz. of Juniper Berries + 1⅔ oz. of St. John's Wort + 1 oz. of Linden Flowers
- Always use clean water to make this tea, and prepare it in a clean cookware of cast iron, glass or stainless steel (other than aluminum).
- In the boiling water, add the given amount of the desired herbs. Cover the container and let them steep for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Never over-steep them as it might have an adverse effect on the flavor as well as the herbs.
- You can also add lemon and honey to enhance the flavor and aroma of your beverage.
- Strain the tea with the help of a regular strainer.
Iced tea is a very popular beverage, especially in the summer season. You can add ice to your beverage and make tempting herbal iced tea recipes. Here is one recipe using lemon.
- Fresh Lemon, 1
- Boiling Water, 2 cups
- Blended Spearmint and Peppermint, (you can also try ginger flavor) 3 tsp.
- Ice Cubes and Honey
Peel the lemon in a continuous spiral, using a fruit peeler and place the peel in a large vessel. Add boiling water on the lemon peel and the herbs. Cover the vessel and steep it up for 10 minutes. Now add honey for the sweet flavor and cool the mixture in a covered container. Before serving, remove the lemon peel, strain the mixture and serve by adding ice cubes.
There are various recipes, available in numerous combination that make you feel the freshness of the real tea without experiencing its harmful effects. So, go ahead and try some recipes of your own.