A proper diet plan is supposed be the best and safe treatment for pregnant women diagnosed with this disorder. Medication and drugs are generally avoided, as it can have side effects on the baby as well as the mother. The goal of this meal planning is to lower and maintain the glucose level in the pregnant women's body. This can be achieved with a healthy high-protein diet and a regular exercise program. It is quite tricky to design the meal plan, as it must control the blood sugar, as well as provide the mother with all the essential minerals and nutrients. The meal plan must maintain the balance between carbohydrates, proteins, calcium, and fats that are necessary for the well-being of the mother and the baby.
It is advisable for the pregnant women to consult the gynecologist, who will design the perfect diet plan. Regularly checking the glucose levels during this program, helps pregnant women cross check if the diabetes meal plan is working or not. According to the results, the doctors can change the diet, swhich is more beneficial for the mother and the baby. Generally, the plan includes following foods:
- High protein foods
- Low carbohydrate foods
- Non starchy vegetables
- High fiber foods
- Low fat foods
- Non concentrated sugar foods
The plan generally includes three small meals with two small snacks.
- One toast and 2 egg whites
- Half cup of tea or coffee without sugar or very less sugar
- 15 grams of fresh apple/ grapefruit/ peach/ blueberries/ kiwi/ orange/ sweet melon
- One cup of cow's milk
- Single low fat cheese cube or slice or cottage cheese
- Sugar free yogurt
- 15 grams of any of the listed fresh fruits
- One boiled potato
- Whole wheat bread or multi grain bread
- Tuna fish or chicken or green peas or any other green vegetable
- Plain boiled rice
- Green salad of non starchy vegetables
- Celery stick or one toast with low fat peanut butter
- 3 almonds or small servings of other dry fruits
- Mix-vegetable soup or tomato soup
- Sprouted beans or chicken or tuna
- Whole wheat bread or boiled rice
- Carrot or cucumber salad with 15 grams of any of the fresh fruits
With this information, you know how easy it is to control gestational diabetes during pregnancy. Follow the proper meal plan with adequate exercises, and you will certainly be able to regulate blood glucose level and deliver a healthy baby. As they say, being pregnant is the most wonderful experience, so, enjoy it thoroughly.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is for informative purposes only, and should not be used as a replacement for expert medical advice.