- Recently, cultivars like Fuji and Gala have become popular owing to their mild flavor and a less firm texture.
- The Fuji apple is an apple cultivar, which was developed at the Tohoku Research Station in Fujisaki, Aomori, Japan.
- The name is derived from Fujisaki and Mt. Fuji.
- This variety is a cross between the Red Delicious apples and the Ralls Genet of old Virginia. It was developed in the 1930s and brought to the market in 1962.
- Fuji apples are large and round in shape and approximately of the size of a baseball.
- It appears as a blend of the red with green and yellow stripes.
- On account of a relatively higher sugar content and a dense cream-colored flesh, they are juicier, sweeter to taste, and crispier in texture.
- They have a comparatively longer shelf life without refrigeration and can stay in refrigeration for as long as 5-6 months.
- Moreover, they can be best used in salads and are good for sauces.
- Fuji applesauce needs a very less amount of sugar.
- They are the best-selling variety of apples in many parts of the world and their popularity is unparalleled.
- These apples make an excellent snack. They can be baked or cooked.
- Their long shelf life has led them to become a profitable item of sale for retailers the world over.
- They are a great option for carrying to school, office, or picnics.
- These apples, delicious as they are, have recently become a popularity in Washington. Today, Washington is proud to reap a large percentage of the Fuji apple crop.
Something You Knew
It was an apple that Adam and Eve were tempted to eat and not having resisted the temptation, man fell into sin. In Latin, the words for 'apple' and 'evil' are similar, making an apple, a biblical forbidden fruit. Man's larynx is known as Adam's apple because it is believed to have stuck in the throat of Adam. Apples have often been taken as being symbols of seduction. They gained importance when an apple was responsible for Newton's theory of Gravity. It was an apple falling from a tree that led Newton to propose the principle of gravity. People of the modern times have reflected on the health benefits of apples and considered apples to keep the doctor away. Apple is popular with kids for the obvious reason that they identify the first letter of the alphabet with this fruit.