Every plant grows in a particular environment which is favorable for its growth, hence they are found only in that season which provides those conditions. The four seasons are, spring (March, April, and May), summer (June, July, and August), autumn (September, October, and November) and winter (December, January, and February).
Spring (March, April and May)
|Purple Sprouting Broccoli||Strawberries|
Summer (June, July and August)
|Lettuce and Salad Leaves||Watermelon|
|Radishes||Currants - black, white, and red|
Autumn (September, October and November)
|Sweet corn||Cape Gooseberries|
Winter (December, January and February)
Fruits and Vegetables Available All Round the Year
Benefits of Seasonal Foods
From this list you can make out the variety of seasonal foods available in the market. All these should be included in your daily diet according to the time of the year. Every particular item in the list holds its own importance in terms of nutrition and taste. Following are some of the benefits of having seasonal foods.
- Researches have proved that these foods are more nutritious than the canned, frozen, or preserved versions.
- It is more juicy, and tastier than the hybrid or preserved varieties.
- As they are easily available in the market, you can get them fresh and at a comparatively low price.
- The vitamin C content in the fresh food is higher as compared to a preserved food.
- The fruits are fresh, hence, they reduce the risk of many infections which are caused due to the preservatives used in the canned and processed food.
- Fresh foods have antioxidants which can prevent us from many diseases
- You can get a variety of produce in every season which keeps the menu new and interesting and will help your body to get nutrition as well.