Exercise # 1
Towel stretch is one of the many exercises prescribed for plantar fasciitis. It should ideally be done early in the morning, before you start with your daily chores.
- Take a towel and cover the ball of your foot with it.
- Gently start pulling the towel towards yourself. Make sure that the knee is straight .
- Hold in this position for as long as you can. Release when you feel a tension in the legs. Repeat the exercise 4 to 5 times on both the feet.
This exercise is called marble lifts--it helps in building the arch of the foot, and is often used for flat feet. You will need marbles to do this exercise, however if you do not have marbles, you can also make use of a pen or a pencil.
- Place a few marbles on the floor.
- Place a glass or a cup at a little distance from the marbles.
- Using your toes, try to lift the marbles from the floor and drop them in the glass.
- It is recommended to do this exercise 8 to 10 times, twice a day.
People with a flat foot often have a tendency to trip. The next exercise is called a towel roll.
- Sit on the edge of a chair, such that your feet are placed firmly on the ground and the knees are bent at a 90 degree angle.
- Place a thick towel in front of your feet on the floor and place your feet on the towel.
- Grab the towel with your toes and begin to roll the towel away from you.
- When you are rolling the towel, five different muscles at the bottom of the feet are worked. This will help in bringing a functional arch to your feet.
- Repeat 2 to 3 times a day.
This is a very simple exercise that can even be done at work or while doing some other activity--like watching television, for example.
- Stand next to a wall so that you are well supported.
- Lift one foot off the floor and pull the foot up, as though you are trying to touch your toes to the front of the shin bone.
- Hold in this position for as long as you can.
- Slowly come back to the starting position and repeat the exercise 10 times on both feet thrice a day.
The next exercise is called walking on the toes and helps to strengthen the leg muscles.
- Do not wear any footwear or socks when you are doing this exercise.
- Start walking on the tip of your toes for about 20 seconds per set.
- It is recommended you do 8 to 10 sets per session and repeat the exercise twice a day.
- This is especially useful for people who stand for an extended period of time or walk a lot.