Field peas are cultivated to be used in two forms: (1) where they are sent to the dry market, and (2) where they are used as a fresh vegetable. These peas have been proven to provide a good amount of nutrients to the human body.
- These peas have considerably high levels of amino acids like lysine and tryptophan, which are very important for your metabolism.
- They are very rich in protein. When used as fodder, these peas act as a very healthy alternative to cereal grains which fail to provide enough protein to livestock and cattle.
- In 100gms of field peas, 886 kJ energy is provided along with 0.8 gms of fat, 18 gms protein, 40 gms of carbohydrates, and 19 gms of fiber.
There are many delicious varieties of food that can be made with field peas. Their rich green color and sweet juicy taste adds a unique taste to any dish.
- 1 can field peas
- 1 can shoe peg corn
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 teaspoons oil
- ½ cup white vinegar
For this healthy salad, use a large mixing bowl and add the field peas and corn in it. Then add the onions, sugar, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper as the marinate. Refrigerate the salad overnight before serving.
- 2 medium chopped onions
- 2 cups field peas
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon each of salt, pepper, and nutmeg
Blend all the ingredients together, add the salt and pepper and then heat it on low flame. Bring it to a boil until it has a desired consistency. Serve it nice and hot with a fresh thyme garnish.