When the cupuacu tree is young its leaves are pinkish green, but this color fades away when the tree reaches its maturity stage. The fruit weighs about 2 pounds and is usually, 8 inches long. The fruit has a very different brown flint color. You can recognize the fruit with its strong banana like fragrance. For harvesting it's necessary that the fruit reaches its ripened stage. The exterior of the fruit is thick and very sour in taste, while the flesh is very sweet and has approximately 20 to 30 seed pods.
Now that you have the basic information about cupuacu, it is time to know about the various health benefits that the fruit offers.
- This delicious fruit is rich in antioxidants and is considered a good breakfast among the people of South America.
- Because the fruit tastes like cocoa it's widely used to make breads, jams and jellies.
- Women of South America, especially Brazil, swear by the health benefits of this fruit which helps in treating many abdominal discomforts and labor pain.
- Cupuacu berry is often compared to acai berry due to its medicinal properties which helps to keep your immune system strong and healthy.
- It has a special ingredient which is known as phytonutrient polyphenols which is not found in other fruits. This ingredient is considered a good remedy for various respiratory disorders.
- It's a great source of vitamin A, C, B1, B2 and B3. It's also great for ligaments, tendons and bones, as it has a high content of calcium, selenium and amino acids.
- The most important health benefit of this fruit is that it helps fight free radicals which are one of the main causes of cancer and other life-threatening diseases.
- It also keeps your body hydrated as it has 0% caffeine.
- It helps in keeping the cholesterol levels of the body low and prevents various cardiovascular ailments.
- Not only does it provide you with a healthy immune system, it's also a great medicine against erectile dysfunction.
- Cupuacu fruit is great for kids as it improves memory power. For women it works wonders, as it provides a healthy skin and reduces acne to a certain extent.
- Children who are fussy eaters can be given this fruit in the form of juice, powder, ice-cream and yogurt.