There are various types of cottage cheese that are made by adding and reducing various flavors. Their taste varies depending upon the level of fat it contains. Cottage cheese is usually eaten by itself, but is bland, and therefore when teamed with fruits, toast, fruit puree, or green salads, can have a remarkable effect on its taste. One can also make a wide range of dishes using this cheese, where it can be substituted for other kinds of cheese, like in lasagnas for instance.
The Johanna Budwig Cottage Cheese Diet
Cottage cheese contains approximately 220 calories a cup, along with 25-21 g of protein, 3-8 g of fat, and less than 3 g of carbohydrates. The amount of fat depends upon the type of milk used, of course. It also contains 500 mg of sodium, 70 mg of calcium, and approximately 20 mg saturated fat. The high content of protein and low content of carbohydrates, may seem like the perfect arrangement of nutrients, but it does contain high traces of saturated fat. Therefore, minimizing of how much of this you eat is crucial.
Dieters and others can try what is called the Budwig Diet, which comprises two main ingredients as part of a three-day diet routine that can be carried forward as a full-blown dietary habit. What it entails is this,
- One has to have a good blender that can mix the two vital ingredients as part of this diet, being sure that it is a thick, creamy consistency without the oil separating. By that we mean, flaxseed oil and cottage cheese (pure and low-fat).
- Mix 3 tbsp of flaxseed oil with 1 cup of organic cottage cheese. Using a blender, mix the two ingredients to attain a thick, creamy texture. If the oil separates even after blending the mixture for a while, add two tablespoons of skim milk.
- To add flavor to the mixture to minimize a gag reflex, you can add either or more of the following additions: Cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla essence, walnuts, lemon juice, almonds, sugar-free apple sauce, pine kernels, cayenne pepper, cashews, or 1 tsp of raw, unpasteurized honey.
- After you've made your mixture, ground 2 tbsp of whole flaxseeds and stir it into the mix.
- You can pair a cup of fruit (not more) to the flaxseed oil and cottage cheese mixture, for an easier option.
- Avoid using foods that are processed or packaged, sticking to this diet for at least a week before deciding on whether to switch back to your regular diet.
- You can prepare this concoction once during the day, and eating a small fruit or veggie salad during the course of the diet. Also, avoid drinking coffee and stick to plain black tea instead, or herbal alternatives of the same.
- This diet has been known to keep a hoard of diseases at bay, especially cancer and other major illnesses. You'll notice that skin takes on a radiant glow, clearing up skin and solving issues related to it.
Here's a diet plan that doesn't cut off food sources completely, although a three-day diet of this sort may not reveal any obvious results. For those of you who want to take the three-day diet as a long term regimen, can stick to the diet plan given below. For the strong-willed who can follow a strict regimen, the Budwig Diet can address a lot of ailments that you may currently be facing. If you visit the official website, you'll come across a program that puts you up in their clinic for two weeks for a life-changing experience.
Efficiency of This Diet Plan
The restricted food areas in this diet do not allow the dieter to have several important nutrients that are also important for a healthy body. As a matter of fact, a study conducted in the year 2008 said that there is no significant proof that following the cottage cheese diet plan helps lose weight. This study was conducted by observing the average weight loss of the people who consumed cottage cheese on a regular basis.
If you really want to lose weight, making a change in your lifestyle is more important than merely following every diet that has worked for your friends or colleagues. The concept of diet itself is misinterpreted by people nowadays. Diet is not something that restricts you from eating particular foods, it is not something that you follow for 3 days, and then put on even more when you return to regular eating later. A diet is something that you can adopt for a lifetime. Cottage cheese is definitely a healthy food and can be incorporated into your diet. But a 3-day diet plan is not a long-term solution to weight loss. With adequate exercise that is rigorous in all aspects, you should be able to witness results while on any of the two diets mentioned.
Disclaimer: This Buzzle article is only for informative purposes. Always consult a dietitian/nutritionist before starting out on any kind of diet.