How to Identify Mouse Droppings
As mentioned above, mice droppings is one of the indications of the presence of these rodents in the area. Mice droppings are often confused with rat poop or cockroach droppings. While cockroach droppings are small, as compared to mice droppings, rat feces are larger. So, you must have a basic idea about the difference between mouse and rat droppings. In general, house mouse droppings are oval in shape, around the size of a rice grain. They are black in color and the length may range from 1/8 inch to ¼ inch. Unlike rats, mice are normally found near their breeding and nesting grounds. Usually, presence of mice droppings indicate that the place is one of those locations, where these rodents are active. That is why mice droppings are often found along with chewed items like cardboard boxes and wires.
How to Clean Mouse Droppings
Mouse droppings may contain harmful bacteria and virus, that can cause health problems in humans. Though, the long-term remedy for this problem is mice extermination, you must also know how to clean and dispose off mice droppings safely.
- Cleaning mouse droppings must be done carefully, after taking sufficient precautionary measures. You must use protective gloves and tight-fitting face mask, while doing this task.
- Mice poop should not be disturbed, as they may release harmful microorganisms, that can be transmitted to humans as airborne particles. So, it is wise to avoid removing it with a vacuum cleaner or a broom.
- Before starting with the cleaning task, open the windows and doors, so as to improve air circulation in the area. Spray bleach solution on the droppings (or urine or the nests) and wait for five minutes, before removing them with paper towels.
- While preparing bleach solution, make sure to use one part bleach for ten parts water. You may also use other types of disinfectants. Once done, dispose of the paper towels along with the mouse droppings.
- The next step is to clean the items that are found nearby. If you find droppings in any of the kitchen utensils, wash them and those kept in the nearby areas in the dishwasher with the dishwasher detergent. You can also wash them in the kitchen sink with dish washing soap or a mild bleaching solution.
- Make sure to discard the uncovered food, that was kept in that place. Use a mild bleach solution or disinfectant spray to clean the whole area. You may also use disposable mops for cleaning the area.
- If mice droppings, urine or nesting materials are found on or around carpets or upholstered furniture, it will be better to go for steam cleaning. You may also use shampoos meant for this purpose. Even contaminated clothes and bedding have to be cleaned with disinfectants and hot water.
- You have to remove materials kept inside drawers and cabinets and spray disinfectant inside, if you find mouse droppings inside them. After some time, wipe with a clean rag that has to be disposed in the trash.
- Once you are done with cleaning mouth droppings, discard the gloves and mask. Wash yourself thoroughly with soap and water.
- In case of severe mice infestation in areas like attics and basements, use traps to eliminate the rodents beforehand. After that, spray disinfectant or bleach solution and clean the place.
- In such cases, you may dispose of highly contaminated items like books, clothes and even storage boxes. Otherwise, keep them out in a location with full sunlight, for at least a week.