Chamomile, also referred to as camomile, is a daisy-like plant, native to Egypt, which features apple-scented foliage and white-rayed flowers. With numerous health benefits to its credit, chamomile is one of the most beneficial herbs in the world. Its health benefits range from wound healing to treatment of anxiety and sleep disorders. The plant was named by a botanist in the 19th century, when he came across this herb growing in the Roman Coliseum. Ancient Egyptians were aware of the numerous benefits of chamomile and hence, it formed an important part of their civilization.
Chamomile Tea Health Benefits
If you believe in the age-old adage 'health is wealth', then chamomile tea is for you. The beverage has many health benefits which can help you live a prolonged life, free of ailments.
- A study by the National Institute of Health (NIH) stated that drinking chamomile tea is beneficial for people with intestinal discomfort.
- Yet another study revealed that drinking this tea triggers anti-bacterial activity within the body, which boosts the immune system and helps us to fight various diseases.
- The beverage is also rich in amino acids which help in tackling muscle spasms and hence, is considered to be beneficial for people suffering from muscle spasms or menstrual cramps.
- Add a hint of lemongrass to it, and the soothing beverage helps relax the nerves. This makes it an ideal drink to relieve oneself from stress.
- The herbal drink is also beneficial for children, as it helps in easing intestinal pain. It can also help in comforting a teething baby.
- The steam of chamomile tea can be used to treat various respiratory ailments, including asthma and sinus infections.
- With a hint of peppermint, chamomile tea turns out to be a great digestive drink, which can help soothe various digestion problems.
- Chamomile tea, in its unsweetened form, can be used to soothe skin irritations and bee stings. It can also be applied on the skin to treat acne.
- Drinking a cup of this herbal tea daily can help in relieving various intestinal problems, including irritable bowel syndrome.
- Applying it on the skin also helps in lightening the skin tone, thus making you appear fair.
- Used chamomile tea bags should be allowed to cool at room temperature and used as compressors on the eyes at night. This helps in relieving eye fatigue and treating dark circles.
- Drinking chamomile infusion is one of the easiest ways to tackle migraine. It should be consumed as soon as you notice the symptoms of migraine in order to avoid severe headache.
- It is analgesic that helps in relieving pain by reducing nerve excitability.
Some Unusual Benefits
The benefits of this useful drink are not just restricted to health. Given below are some benefits which are not related to health, but are still quite useful.
- Chamomile tea helps in curbing the growth of fungus. If you are interested in gardening, you can spray it on the plants to prevent fungal growth on them.
- Studies reveal that adding this tea to composts can help in increasing the level of calcium in the soil, thus making it more fertile.
There is absolutely no doubt about the fact that chamomile tea is one of the most popular and tasty herbal teas in the world. The benefits enlisted above are enough to make people try it at least once. Rest assured, once people taste it, they will never say 'no' to it.