- 1 ounce (28g): 10 calories
- Small cantaloupe (approximately 4" diameter): 150 calories
- Medium cantaloupe (approximately 5" diameter): 188 calories
- Large Cantaloupe (approximately 6.5" diameter): 277 calories
Cantaloupe is known to be a rich source of dietary fiber, potassium, and various vitamins such as Vitamin A, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6, Vitamin C, and folate. The following table gives the exact nutrition facts of this fruit on the basis of a 100g serving, where the symbol
|Nutrients||Values (per 100g)|
|Water Content||90.15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0.9 g|
|Vitamin A||3382 mcg|
|Vitamin B1 (Thiamin)||0.041 mg|
|Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin)||0.019 mg|
|Vitamin B3 (Niacin)||0.734 mg|
|Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic Acid)||0.105 mg|
|Vitamin B6||0.072 mg|
|Vitamin C||36.7 mg|
|Vitamin E||0.05 mcg|
- Being a rich source of Vitamin A and beta-carotene, the consumption of cantaloupe reduces the risk of developing cataract, mainly in middle-aged women. Beta-carotene, on the other hand, has been found to be able to prevent cancer and the degeneration of cells in the body.
- As it is a good source of vitamin C, cantaloupe consumption also helps in strengthening the immune system, while its rich antioxidant properties help fight against the damage caused by free radicals. The white blood cells are stimulated by vitamin C to kill viruses and bacteria that may cause various health problems to the human body. It also helps reduce the risk of developing problems such as heart disease and stroke.
- The richness of the B-complex vitamins and fiber content in cantaloupe make it an effective source of energy production in the human body. It also maintains the metabolism, and normal blood-sugar levels. By enabling the digestion of carbohydrates and aiding digestion with its rich-fiber content, cantaloupe consumption is sure to be extremely beneficial to those who are on a diet to lose weight.
- The intake of cantaloupe as a part of at least 3 servings of fruit a day also helps protect the loss of vision in older adults. It could be consumed with cereal in the morning, with salad at lunch, and as a snack in the evening.
- Lastly, it's consumption has a cooling effect on the body. Especially, after serious physical or mental activity, a bowl of cantaloupe can calm your senses and provide a sense of refreshment even after a hectic day.
Disclaimer: This article is for informative purposes only and does not in any way attempt to replace the advice offered by an expert on the subject.