- To begin with, he needs to work extensively with the research and development department of the company, and with their help, formulate the best possible way to market the product.
- He needs to supply the engineers (who are working on developing the product) with the results of the market research and on the basis of which the product will be based.
- He also checks if the engineers are following the decided path and suggests changes for improvement.
- He needs to be fully aware of the product at hand―what the product is capable of doing and what will be some of the improvements that might take place in the future.
- Once the product is ready, he must gather a core group for testing. The results from these tests will help him to determine whether the product has been able to achieve the desired result or not.
- After the product has passed this test, he will have to think of the marketing strategies for the same. What will be the audience, the target group at which the product will be directed etc.
- He needs to decide on the packaging of the product―the best way in which the audience will be able to connect to the product and how the packaging will be able to convey what the product is all about.
- The pricing of the product is also an important factor that will need the drawing up of several strategies. The brand manager will work with several other departments to determine this aspect.
- Then he will undertake the extensive planning of the techniques and methods by which the product will be launched in the market.
- He will also decide the advertising strategies that will be used. Like, what modes of mass media will be utilized to ensure the success of the product.
- The methods of promotion that will be used will also need to be determined by him.
- All this will be dependent upon the budget that has been allocated. He has to also make sure that all these techniques employed, like the promotions, marketing, advertising costs, all of them fall under the allotted budget and do not exceed it.
- After the product has been launched, he has to monitor the sales.
- Depending on the sales, he needs to change strategies or techniques in marketing, advertising, or promotions to lead to maximum success.
- He has to plan for the future about the course of the product―what will be the future strategies etc. so that continued success is guaranteed.
- He has to ensure bringing about changes in the product from time to time so that it includes whatever the audience wants and is thereby accepted more openly by the audience.
A brand manager has to work with a particular brand or several brands. It is a highly challenging job because he has to take the entire responsibility for the success of that product(s), and is therefore, responsible for all related aspects which include planning, buying, selling, marketing, pricing, dispatching, and ordering. That is a bird's-eye view of what a brand manager does. Let us understand what his duties are in more detail in the following section.