With a variety of definitions of this 4-letter word, we often fail to believe in the strength of it, because as humans, we are victim to doubt and distrust for each other. Commonly misunderstood as different types of love, this emotion is singular, but has various ways of expression. Mentioned ahead is the most uncomplicated Bible's definition about love.
Love, as Defined in the Bible
Among the various love quotes created by man's understanding about love, these Bible verses are more special and unique. Even though there are many places in the Bible where we find verses that tell us about love, there is one chapter which talks completely about it. We find the largest and the most elaborate definition of love in the love scriptures of 1 Corinthians 13: 1 to 10. According to this chapter, from verse 2 to 10...
(2) If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God's secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn't love others, I would be nothing.
(3) If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it;a but if I didn't love others, I would have gained nothing.
(4) Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude.
(5) It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged.
(6) It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out.
(7) Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
(8) Prophecy and speaking in unknown languages and special knowledge will become useless. But love will last forever!
(9) Now our knowledge is partial and incomplete, and even the gift of prophecy reveals only part of the whole picture.
(10) But when the time of perfection comes, these partial things will become useless."
Here are a few important verses which teach us what love is, through the point of view of the Bible.
- For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son,[a] that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. ―John 3:16
- For the LORD loves the just and will not forsake his faithful ones. ―Psalm 37:28
- I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me. ―Proverbs 8:17
- And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. ―1 John 4:16
- We love because he first loved us. If anyone says, "I love God," yet hates his brother, he is a liar. For anyone who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, whom he has not seen. ―1 John 4:19-20
- Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against one of your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the LORD. ―Leviticus 19:18
- Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs. ―Proverbs 10:12
- My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends. ―John 15:12-13
- Jesus replied: 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' ―Matthew 22:37-39