Riddles are nothing but brain teasers that stimulate a person's mind. A riddle can also be termed as a puzzle, and it is often worded in such a way that it makes a person ponder over its solution. Some riddles are witty, some are entertaining, and some clearly have double meanings. They are a great way to exercise your mind and entertain your friends and family. Here we present to you a selection of interesting riddles.
▶ For Kids
1. If you know me then I am nothing, but if you don't, then I am something, what am I?
2. Why do chickens lay eggs?
3. What has two big ears, a trunk and is not an elephant?
4. I am lighter than air but a million men cannot lift me up. What am I?
5. What has a head, a tail, is brown, and has no legs?
6. No sooner spoken than broken. What is it?
7. When you have me, you feel like sharing me. But, if you do share me, you don't have me. What am I?
8. I am a three-digit number. My tens digit is five more than my ones digit. My hundreds digit is eight less than my tens digit. What number am I?
9. Joe bought a bag of oranges on Monday, and ate a third of them. On Tuesday he ate half of the remaining oranges. On Wednesday he looked in the bag to find he only had two oranges left. How many oranges were originally in the bag?
10. I am not alive, but I grow; I don't have lungs, but I need air; I don't have a mouth, but water kills me. What am I?
11. What stays where it is even after it goes off?
12. You're in a deep, dark jungle. You have a matchstick, a wooden stove, and a lantern. What will you light first?
13. There are 3 apples for 2 sons and 2 fathers to eat. Each of them get their own apple. How is it numerically possible?
14. Which vehicle is spelled the same forwards and backwards?
15. Why did the banana go to the doctor?
16. What can you put in a wood box that will make it lighter?
17. What do you get when you cross a parrot with a tiger?
18. Find the smallest sentence with all the English alphabets.
▶ For Adults
1. There is this 6-digit number! The tens digit is 2 more than the ones digit. The hundreds digit is 2 less than the tens digit. Now the hundreds digit is again equal to the thousands digit. The ten thousands digit is 2 more than the thousands digit and the hundred thousands digit is 2 less than the ten thousands digit.
2. Remove six letters from this sequence to reveal a familiar English word. BSAINXLEATNTEARS
3. A gorilla has more hair than a chimpanzee. That is the reason why they lay on their side to keep themselves warm during winters! Do you know which side of these creatures have more hair?
4. You live in a place wherein, 6 months is extreme summer and the other 6 months, the mercury goes really, really down! You own a lake where there is a small island. You want to build a house over there and need to carry the required stuff. Sadly, you have no boat, ship, or anything that you can use to transport all the material to the island! What will you do in order to carry the stuff to the island?
5. My 1st brother studies aerodynamics, my 2nd builds different engines. My 3rd brother is just an illustration and my fourth is as wise as an owl. About me? I am unanimous to whatever you say! Find us all!
6. What row of numbers comes next in this series?
7. I have one, you have one.
If you remove the first letter, a bit remains.
If you remove the second, bit still remains.
After much trying, you might be able to remove the third one also, but it remains. It dies hard!
8. If I say everything I tell you is a lie, am I telling you the truth or a lie?
9. A woman shoots her husband, then holds him under water for five minutes. Finally, she hangs him. Five minutes later they enjoy a wonderful dinner together. How can this be?
10. Mom and Dad have four daughters, and each daughter has one brother. How many people are in the family?
11. Five men were eating apples. A finished before B, but behind C. D finished before E, but behind B. What was the finishing order?
12. There was a shipwreck at sea and Doug, Steve, and Phil got washed ashore on a small, isolated island. They were exhausted and fell asleep on the beach. Doug woke up and saw a box of bananas had washed ashore. He ate 1/3 of bananas and went back to sleep. Steve woke up and also ate 1/3 of what was left of the bananas, and went back to sleep. Next, Phil woke up and assuming no one had eaten the bananas, ate only 1/3 of what was left. When he was finished, there were only 8 bananas left. Can you guess how many bananas were in the box?
13. After teaching his class all about Roman numerals (X = 10, IX=9 and so on), the teacher asked his class to draw a single continuous line and turn IX into 6. The only stipulation the teacher made was that the pen could not be lifted from the paper until the line was complete.
14. You are standing in front of a room with one lightbulb inside it. You cannot see if it is 'on' or 'off'. Outside the room there are 3 switches in the 'off' positions. You may turn the switches any way you want to. You stop turning the switches, enter the room and know which switch controls the light bulb. How?
15. A man went on a trip with a fox, a goose, and a sack of corn. He came upon a stream, which he had to cross and found a tiny boat to cross the stream. He could only take himself and one other -- the fox, the goose, or the corn -- at a time. He could not leave the fox alone with the goose or the goose alone with the corn. How does he get all of them safely over the stream?
Disclaimer: The choice of the riddles is mine and is not as per any board. If you disagree, then I might just agree with you about that!!