How to Bake Sweet Potatoes
In the Oven
- Sweet Potatoes (medium-sized), 6
- Unsalted butter, 6 tablespoons
- Kosher salt, ½ teaspoon
- Black pepper, ¼ teaspoon
- While you are cleaning the sweet potatoes, heat the oven to 400 °F. You may have to soak the sweet potatoes in water before you start cleaning them.
- Use a fork to pierce the sweet potatoes.
- Once pierced, place them on a baking sheet, lined with a foil. It is necessary to line the sheet with a foil, so that the drippings from the potato get collected in it.
- For the potatoes to be baked till tender, it will take approximately 40 to 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove the sweet potatoes from the oven, and make a slit on top of each of them.
- Top each one with butter, salt, and pepper.
- Sweet potato (large), 1
- Butter, 1 tablespoon
- Cheddar cheese (shredded), 3 tablespoons
- Sour cream, 3 teaspoons
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub and clean the sweet potato, preferably under running water.
- After cleaning, prick it a number of times with a fork. This will enable the steam to escape out of the potato.
- Place the potato on a microwave plate, and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on full power.
- When the potato is soft, remove it from the microwave, and cut it in half lengthwise.
- Season with salt and pepper, and mash the inside of the sweet potato using a fork.
- Top the open ends with butter and cheese, and return it back to the microwave; cook it till you see the cheese melting.
- Top it with the remaining cheese and sour cream before serving.
- Sweet Potatoes (large), 3
- Olive oil, 2 tablespoons
- Dried oregano, 2 teaspoons
- Freshly ground pepper, 2 teaspoons
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Till the oven is heating, coat the bottom of a baking dish with olive oil.
- Wash, scrub, and peel the sweet potatoes and cut them into medium-sized pieces.
- Place the pieces in the baking dish, and coat them with the olive oil.
- Sprinkle them with oregano, salt, and pepper and place the baking dish in the oven.
- Bake the potatoes for about 40 to 45 minutes or till they turn soft and tender.