Sony has you coveredYou can get technicians to guide you to fix most problems with your PS4 using Sony's Live Chat support.
Sony's PlayStation 4 sure is creating waves in the gaming industry. They say, the proof of the pudding is in the eating, well then, there are just about 4.2 million (as of December 2013) people out there who would be willing to vouch for this amazing game console. It is not just about the numbers, Sony's next-gen gaming console has a spec sheet that would get any gamer drooling over it.
So, is the Sony PS4 the ultimate gaming machine? Well, not just yet. Nope, we aren't talking about opting for the offering from the rival camp. We simply mean to say that the console is currently plagued by a few issues that can make life rather miserable for the users. Chances are, if you are a PS4 user, you've already come across some of these issues. These may not be a deal breaker, but certainly can be quite frustrating. The good news is that most of these problems have rather simple solutions which fix them for good. You don't need to be a techie, nor do you need to wait in endless lines to get most of these resolved. So, without further ado, here's a look at some of the most common PS4 problems and their probable solutions.
The blue indicator light on my PS4 keeps blinking.
Probable cause: Hardware/software issues
Firmware update for your TV
– This would help fix any compatibility issues of the hardware and also resets the HDMI settings of the television, which affect the signal on the PS4.
Inspect the power supply
– Switch off the console, and check its electrical connections. Detach the power chord, and check its connectors for faults.
Inspect the HDMI ports
– Check to see if the HDMI cable has any issue. You could try changing the HDMI cable to see if it helps.
Inspect the hard drive
– Switch off the console, and remove all the cables connected to it. Slide out the HDD bay cover, and ensure that the HDD is secured firmly in its bay.
The red indicator light on my PS4 keeps blinking.
Let the console cool down
– Switch off the console for a while, and let it cool down for at least half an hour before powering it back on.
Ensure proper ventilation
– Make sure to place the console in a well-ventilated area with ample space around it for the console to breathe.
There's a problem with audio/video on the PS4.
Damaged HDMI cable
Check the HDMI cable
– Make sure that the cable is not damaged. If the connecting pins of the cable are bent, you could try and put it back in place with a pin. Be careful not to use too much force though.
Use a different HDMI cable
– Swap the old cable with a new one.
My PS4 does not connect/keeps getting disconnected from the network.
PlayStation Network servers overloaded
– Wait for a while and then connect again.
Choose an alternate source
– Download the firmware from an alternative source. A lot of options are listed on Sony's support site. You can also choose to download the 1.50 firmware on a USB storage device, and install it onto the console later.
My PS4 freezes/crashes often.
Overheating/network issues/firmware problem
Wait for a while
– Wait for sometime as the console usually works fine after a while. Avoid hard resetting your PS4 as it can adversely affect the console. Check the company's support site for a possible patch to fix the bug.
My PS4's game disc auto ejects/does not eject.
Malfunctioning optical drive
Make the console stand
– You could try to place the PS4 vertically using a stand. This would, however, block access to some of the ports on the console.
Manually eject the disc
– Resort to this only if all other methods fail. You can refer to Sony's support site
for a step-by-step guide to help you along the way.
Much like all major hardware releases, the PlayStation 4 is also faced by teething trouble. Sony is constantly working towards fixing these issues as and when they surface. Always upgrade you console's firmware as this brings in a lot of bug fixes, speed improvements, and security patches to ensure that PS4 is running at its optimum best. The latest PlayStation is already a winner, and there is little doubt that it will go on to be amongst the best gaming consoles of all time, quashing all the problems that come along.