Swimming with dolphins is considered to be a therapeutic activity for humans.Who wouldn't enjoy an up-close-and-personal encounter with these majestic sea creatures? Dolphins have managed to fascinate humankind since time immemorial, and have been a subject of intense human scrutiny from the scientific, ecological, and behavioral point of view.
Humans have been taming and training dolphins for quite some time now. Specialized aquariums, known as dolphinaria have been set up to help children and adults acquaint themselves with these gorgeous marine mammals.
Swimming with dolphins has been practiced since the 1960s, but saw a revival during the 1990s. With the number of dolphin sanctuaries on the rise, several cities began to promote swimming with dolphins as a fun-filled family activity.
Florida ranks as one of the top places to swim with dolphins in mainland US. Some of the places that come with stellar recommendations include -
- Discovery Cove, Orlando
- Dolphin Explorer, Marco Island
- Dolphin Research Center, Marathon
Being a cluster of islands, there is no dearth of marine-related activities here in Hawaii. Dolphin Quest lagoon in Oahu is the place to be, when you are in Hawaii. The lagoon is home to several bottlenose dolphins, and offers an interactive and educational experience for the whole family.
Over to the Atlantic now, as the Bahamas are next on our list. Dolphin Cay at the Atlantis Resort is a marine habitat which lets you interact with dolphins, spend time with the trainers, and go on deep sea excursions as well.
California, without a doubt, is one of the best places to see dolphins in their natural habitat. You'll find a lot of bottlenose dolphins here on the Pacific coast, where there are several theme parks dedicated to marine activities. Six Flags Discovery Kingdom in Vallejo and SeaWorld in San Diego are popular destinations for those looking for some fun times with dolphins.
Cancun is a tourist hotspot along the Pacific coast. Seemingly, it also caters to a huge number of marine adventure enthusiasts. Come to the Dolphinaris in Cancun for a close encounter with dolphins, as you learn about their behavior, habitat, and adaptations.
- Swimming with dolphins can be a pleasurable and fun-filled activity for humans, but you always need to exercise caution while interacting with these beautiful creatures.
- Follow the instructions given to you at all times, and ensure that your behavior does not agitate or upset the animals.
- You can also avail a tour that allows you to swim with the dolphins in the wild. However, you need to be careful during such expeditions, and follow all the rules relating to safety.